I’m so excited about a fun new series that I’m doing with some of my quilty friends! We’re kicking off a new series of Summer projects hosted by Oliso and we’ll have giveaways every week. I’m starting off things with this new Hope Rainbow Embroidery Hoop Art!
The series is called Summer Dreams and we’ll each be sharing projects that are fun for Summer!
I’m sharing the free pattern for this Hope Rainbow Embroidery Hoop Art! It’s a fun one to make up for summer – or any time of year. And it’s perfect for right now – when we all need a little Hope!
The rainbow is fabric applique stitched down with a little raw edged applique. I’ve used embroidery for everything else – the lettering, the flower “clouds” and rain drops!
Hope Rainbow Embroidery Hoop Art
- 10″ x 10″ square of Riley Blake Designs Natural Linen
- Scraps of fabric for Rainbow Stripes – I used a mix of Singing in the Rain fabric and a couple other Riley Blake Fabrics
- Small amounts of fusible webbing
- Six Strand Embroidery Floss in an assortment of colors. I used Aurifil White for the “clouds”, green for the leaves, gray for the lettering, and coordinating colors of floss to match the rainbow strips for the French Knot Rain drops
- 8″ embroidery hoop
- 1 yard pom pom trim
- Transfer pen for pattern (I used an iron on transfer pen)
- Hope Rainbow Embroidery Hoop Pattern
Transfer the rainbow stripes on the paper side of the fusible webbing. Cut out around each strip (not on the line, outside it) and fuse to the wrong side of your print fabrics. Using the pattern as a layout, place the fabric pieces in rainbow order, remove the paper backing and press the fabric down. These Oliso mini irons are perfect for projects like this!
Transfer the lettering, clouds and leaves to the design. I used an iron on transfer pen and traced the designs on the wrong side of the print out, then ironed the design down.
Place your fabric in the embroidery hoop, with the ends of the rainbow under the edge of the hoop.
Embroidery the design with the following stitches:
- Leaves – Satin Stitches – 3 strands of floss
- Lettering – Layered Back Stitching – Outline the letters with a back stitch, then fill in the open sections with staggered back stitches – 3 strands of floss
- “Clouds” – Woven Roses – 6 strands of floss
- Scatter the “Rain Drops” with colors that coordinate with the raindrops and stitch French Knots – 3 strands of floss
- Embroider French Knots in the centers of the woven roses, 3 in the centers of the smaller roses, and 5 in the center of the large rose.
Finish the embriodery hoop and add pom pom trim around the edge.
You can follow along with the other projects by visiting the super talented quilters that are joining in with the Summer Dreams series!
- July 15 – Flamingo Toes *here!*
- July 22 – Christopher Thompson The Tattooed Quilter
- July 29 – Amy Smart Diary of a Quilter
- August 5 – Michele Muska Oliso
- August 12 – Pat Sloan Pat Sloan
So much talent right?!
We’re also having a giveaway each week! Each of us will give away a Mini Oliso Iron! You can enter to win each week (though you can only win once ;)
Giveaway is open to the US and Canada. Enter below!a Rafflecopter giveaway