This Follow the Love Birds Pillow was so fun to sews up in Riley Blake’s new love volume collection, Hush Hush!
Hush Hush is a darling new low volume collection from Riley Blake! Twenty-one of their designers came together to each design a print in the collection and even though everyone has different styles, the prints all look amazing together!
Aren’t they gorgeous?! I am so thrilled to be included in this collection. Can you guess which is mine? I designed the sweet flamingo print!
Riley Blake is hosting a fun sew along in conjunction with this release called Follow the Blue Bird! They have designed a sweet bird block in three different versions, a traditional pieced block, an applique block and a paper pieced block! A bunch of the RBD designers are making up projects with the cute blue bird block along with Hush Hush fabrics!
I made a fun pillow with the traditional pieced bird block – in fact, I used two in the pillow! I turned the little birds to face each other and added a heart between them – they are little love birds!
This was an easy project to make! Here’s all the info:
Follow the Love Birds Pillow
Pillow size: 12″ x 20″
- Small amounts of most of the Hush Hush prints – fat quarters would be great!
- Stardust fabrics for the birds and heart
- Pom Pom Trim for edge
- 12″ x 20″ pillow form
Download the free Follow the Blue Bird pattern (I used the traditional pieced block)
I assembled the blocks almost exactly as shown in the instructions, though I did move around the Hush Hush prints. I also chose the lighter prints in Hush Hush, since the Stardust fabrics I used for the bird are a little busy. I made one bird as shown, and I reversed the other bird, so they are facing each other. The other change I made was to leave off the top “J” piece.
For the heart section in the center, cut:
- 2 pieces 1 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ from heart fabric
- 4 pieces 1″ x 1″ from a Hush Hush print
- 2 pieces 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ from a Hush Hush print
- 1 piece 2 1/2″ x 5 1/4″ from a Hush Hush print
- Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the 1″x 1″ pieces and the 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ pieces. Place a 1″ x 1″ piece on the top left corner of each of the 1 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ heart pieces, with the line aligned as shown. Sew on the marked line and trim 1/4″ away from the seam. Press open.
2. Repeat with the remaining 1″ x 1″ squares on the right top corners of the two heart pieces with the line aligned as shown.
3. Place a 1 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ piece on the bottom edge of both heart pieces, with the lines aligned as shown. Repeat Step 1 to make the bottom edges of the heart.
4. Sew the two heart pieces together along the center seam. Press the seam open. Heart block measures 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″. Sew the 2 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ Hush Hush piece to the bottom edge of the heart block.
To finish out the pillow, sew the heart block section between the two pieced bird blocks. For the Hush Hush borders, I used the Flamingo print from Hush Hush for all the following strips! :)
- Sew a 3 1/4″ x 18 1/2″ Hush Hush strip to the top edge of the pillow/heart piece.
- Sew a 3″ x 18 1/2″ Hush Hush strip to the bottom edge of the pillow/heart piece.
- Sew a 1″ x 12 1/2″ Hush Hush strip to each side of the pillow/heart piece.
I finished off the pillow by quilting the top. I sewed pom pom trim to the edge of the pillow top and then created an envelope back for the back of the pillow. I cut my back pieces 12 1/2″x 15″ for the envelope pieces. I then sewed the pillow front to the back envelope pieces, clipped the corners, and turned the pillow right side out. All that is left is putting the pillow form in and showing off the cute Lovebirds Pillow!
I love how the little birds turned out in Stardust fabric!
There are so many great designers sewing up Follow the Blue Bird projects! And my favorite thing about them is all the different fabrics everyone is using – and how they all look so great with Hush Hush! You can find the schedule here and see all the different projects on social media by checking out the hashtag #followthebluebird.
I would love to see your versions of this sweet Follow the Love Birds Pillow too!
I love this, so so cute!
Rebecca Payne says
I love this pillow. Great Job!
This pillow is so beautiful. Can you tell me how you created the love bird in reverse?
I’m so glad you like it! I used the pattern that RBD provided and assembled it in reverse. You could also print out a reversed image of the pattern and then use that as a guide for assembly! :)