I have a fun stocking tutorial for you today! It’s perfect for your friends that love cats – or if you want to make a stocking for your furry friend! It’s so easy to customize with whatever you’d like too – it’s made with fuzzy heat transfer vinyl so you can design anything you’d like!
I’m going to use mine as a gift bag for a friend that loves cats! My gift for her will fit perfectly inside – so it’s like a double gift!
My friend Amanda from Jedi Craft Girl had a series last week called the 12 Days of Meowy Christmas! I made my All You Need is Love (and a cat) hoop for it, and there are a bunch of other cute cat projects too! I loved the name of her series and thought it would make a cute stocking!
Here’s what you need to make your own!
- fabric for outside of stocking – 1/2 yard
- fabric for lining of stocking – 1/2 yard
- fusible fleece – 1/2 yard
- heat transfer vinyl 6″ x 8″ piece
- 16″ of ribbon
- 8″ of pom pom trim
- stocking to trace
- Meowy Christmas Image – you can use this to import to your favorite cutting machine software
Start by tracing your favorite stocking. You’ll need 2 of outer fabric and 2 of your inner fabric. When you trace your design add 1/2″ all the way around for a seam allowance.
Cut out the design with whatever cutting machine you’d like. Make sure the design is reversed.
Iron the design onto the stocking.
Measure down 1/2″ from the top of the stocking and sew down your ribbon and pom pom trim.
Cut out 2 pieces of fusible fleece the size of your stocking. Iron the fleece to the wrong side of the outer pieces of fabric.
Lay the outer stocking and lining pieces right side together. Sew the front piece to the lining along the top edge with a 1/2″ seam allowance and do the same for the back pieces.
Open up the pieces and match up the lining fabrics and the outside fabrics. Cut a 6″ length of ribbon and fold the ribbon in half. Line the ends of the ribbon up on the left side of the stocking with the ribbon piece you sewed down. Baste in place.
Pin everything together and match up the seams. sew around the pieces, leaving an opening in the foot of the stocking for turning. Clip all the curves.
Turn the stocking right side out and press. Sew the opening closed by hand. Tuck the lining into the stocking. I’m leaving a bit of the lining at the top of the stocking to peek out – I love how colorful it is!
That’s it! Fill it up with your favorite presents!
Over at the Expressions Vinyl Facebook Page they are having a rock your stockings contest! People can upload a picture of a stocking they fancied up using vinyl! And they asked some of their favorite bloggers to get the ball rolling with some fun ideas! (You can enter to win a gift card–but I also have a gift card for $100 to Expressions Vinyl at the bottom of this post! )
1. Faux wool sock from Fynes Design
2. Personalized stockings from Maybe I will
3. Gift card holder from 733 blog
4. Customized stocking from Artsy Fartsy mama
5. Stocking tag from Strawberry Mommy Cakes
6. Stocking pillow from One Krieger chick
7. Stocking shirt from Pitter and Glink
8. Stocking banner by Sugar Bee crafts
9. Boy Scout stocking from The Scrap Shoppe
10. No sew from Holy craft
11. Personalized Pajamas from Ginger snap crafts
12. Diy Stockings from Mabey she made it
13. Stocking with car from Kiki Comin
14.Personalized stockings from Craftily ever after
15. Burlap Joy stocking from A girl and a glue gun
16. stocking placecard from Crafting in the rain
17. Scandinavian inspired stocking from Tried and true
18. cute stocking from Flamingo Toes
Make sure to enter to win $100 gift card to Expressions Vinyl! Good Luck!