I never miss out on joining in with Marissa from Rae Gun Rambling’s annual Harry Potter series and this year is no exception! The theme this year is Back to School so I thought it would be perfect to join in with a school related project. What would be better than one of the first spells taught at school – Wingardium Leviosa! This Harry Potter LeviOsa Embroidery Pattern is such a fun hoop set and a great way to show off your Back to Hogwarts spirit!
The hoop is a cute set that includes the spell and wand on one and the floating feather on the other! I used the DMC Mesh for the feather hoop – it is perfect for see-through hoops and this cute feather just floats on it!
Harry Potter LeviOsa Embroidery Pattern
- 8″ embroidery hoop and 4″ embroidery hoop *see note below materials list
- 10″ square of background fabric for main hoop
- 6″ square of DMC Stitchable Mesh for feather hoop
- DMC Embroidery Thread – 3685 for lettering, 838 for wand, 3685, 315, 3722 for feather, gold and silver metallic floss for sparkles
- hot glue for finishing back of hoop
- marking pen
- LeviOsa Embroidery Pattern
*Note about embroidery hoop sizes* There are lots of stores moving towards the newer bamboo hoops. These have a nice look and pretty finished edges but they are slightly smaller than traditional wood hoops. This is not going to be a problem most of the time but when you are stitching a design similar to the main hoop above that takes up most of the space, you might find it a little trickier in one of the newer bamboo hoops because of the size. Just something to keep in mind! :)
Transfer your pattern to your fabric and mesh. For the mesh, I find it easiest to place the pattern under the mesh and then draw directly onto the mesh with a ball point pen. It will take a few passes to make sure the line is dark enough to see.
Embroider your main hoop design with the following stitches:
- Lettering – back stitches – fill in the outline then inside the lettering
- Wand – back stitches – outline the wand, then fill in the inside with layered back stitches. Decorate the wand any way you like. I chose some of the lighter maroon in the feather to make little swoops on the base.
- Sparkles – use straight stitches with the gold floss on the marked lines on the pattern for the stars. I also filled in a few small silver stars on the main hoop as well.
Embroider your feather hoop design with the following stitches:
- Outline the feather and the center part with back stitches. Fill in the inside with straight stitches of varying lengths using the three maroon floss colors. Try to keep your stitches on the back from showing through to the front.
- Sparkles – use a straight stitch to embroider the small sparkles with silver floss at random spots on the hoop. Make sure you start and stop your stitches at each star so you can’t don’t have thread on the back side going from star to star.
Finish the backs of the hoop. For the mesh hoop, trim the mesh (don’t use your fabric scissors!) about 1/4″ outside the edge of the back side of the hoop and carefully glue the mesh to the back of the hoop. Trim any mesh that you can see from the front side.
Hang your hoops so the feather floats above the wand!
Make sure you head over and visit Marissa to check out all the other Harry Potter projects and posts! You can also join in with the giveaway below!
One lucky winner will receive all the amazing things below! ENTER by using the widget below (or clicking here). To see all the new Harry Potter projects and find enter check here as they will be updated daily!
- $50 Amazon gift card perfect for picking out your own awesome Harry Potter swag or stocking up on craft supplies to make your own inspired by the great tutorials from the series!
- $50 Shop credit to spend on LuLaRoe with RaeGunRoe who will be having a special Harry Potter inspired event during the series!
- One Harry Potter Baby Costume or House Tie Necklace from RaeGun perfect for Halloween, or sporting to a vacation to the Wizarding world, or just for any old Tuesday!
- One Nerdifore from Giggles and Mischief (put to a $40) she makes the cutest Harry Potter inspired dresses for big girls as well as My Little Pony, Super Hero and other awesomely geeky options.
- Dumbledore and Harry Potter action figures!
- Other surprise Harry Potter swag!