This summer has been all about travel and adventure! This cute DIY US Map Heart Pillow is so perfect for showing a little love for places you’ve traveled, or where you have family or even places you’ve lived! It’s such a quick and easy project to sew up too.
If you’ve been wanting to try free motion stitching this would be a great project to start with! It takes just a few turns around the map to give it that fun sketched look and there’s really no way to mess it up!
DIY US Map Heart Pillow
- 1/3 yard Tiny White Vintage Adventure Floral
- 1/4 yard Aqua Vintage Adventure Trellis
- Small amount of red wool felt
- Red Embroidery Floss
- 2 yards pom pom trim
- 12″ x 16″ pillow form
- HeatnBond Lite
- US Map Pillow Pattern
- Cut out the front and back of the pillow – 2 pieces 12″ x 16″.
- Cut out a piece of aqua trellis slightly larger than the map pattern. Iron a piece of HeatnBond to the wrong side of the fabric. Cut out the Map pattern from the trellis fabric.
- Remove the paper backing from the HeatnBond and place the map on the pillow front, centering the map on the fabric. Iron the map in place.
- Applique the map down any way you’d like. It would look great with a running embroidery stitch, a blanket stitch or you can do a free motion stitch like I did. Using a free motion foot, stitch just inside the edge of the map 3 times.
- Iron pieces of HeatnBond to one side of the wool felt. But out as many hearts as you’d like. The hearts I used were about 1″ across but any size will look great! Remove the paper backing and iron the hearts in place on the map.
- Stitch the hearts down with a running stitch and embroider a running stitch line between the two hearts.
- Place the pom pom trim along the edge of the pillow front, so the pom poms point in towards the center. Sew the trim down 1/4″ from the edge of the pillow. Overlap the trim on the bottom edge of the pillow.
- Place the pillow front and back right sides together. Sew around the pillow, leaving an opening of about 8″ in the bottom side. Clip the corners.
- Turn the pillow right side out and press. Put the pillow form inside the cover and hand sew the opening closed.
Show off your cute new pillow!
I think this would be such a fun gift for a friend who loves to travel too!