This summer has been all about travel and adventure! This cute DIY US Map Heart Pillow is so perfect for showing a little love for places you’ve traveled, or where you have family or even places you’ve lived! It’s such a quick and easy project to sew up too.
If you’ve been wanting to try free motion stitching this would be a great project to start with! It takes just a few turns around the map to give it that fun sketched look and there’s really no way to mess it up!
DIY US Map Heart Pillow
- 1/3 yard Tiny White Vintage Adventure Floral
- 1/4 yard Aqua Vintage Adventure Trellis
- Small amount of red wool felt
- Red Embroidery Floss
- 2 yards pom pom trim
- 12″ x 16″ pillow form
- HeatnBond Lite
- US Map Pillow Pattern
- Cut out the front and back of the pillow – 2 pieces 12″ x 16″.
- Cut out a piece of aqua trellis slightly larger than the map pattern. Iron a piece of HeatnBond to the wrong side of the fabric. Cut out the Map pattern from the trellis fabric.
- Remove the paper backing from the HeatnBond and place the map on the pillow front, centering the map on the fabric. Iron the map in place.
- Applique the map down any way you’d like. It would look great with a running embroidery stitch, a blanket stitch or you can do a free motion stitch like I did. Using a free motion foot, stitch just inside the edge of the map 3 times.
- Iron pieces of HeatnBond to one side of the wool felt. But out as many hearts as you’d like. The hearts I used were about 1″ across but any size will look great! Remove the paper backing and iron the hearts in place on the map.
- Stitch the hearts down with a running stitch and embroider a running stitch line between the two hearts.
- Place the pom pom trim along the edge of the pillow front, so the pom poms point in towards the center. Sew the trim down 1/4″ from the edge of the pillow. Overlap the trim on the bottom edge of the pillow.
- Place the pillow front and back right sides together. Sew around the pillow, leaving an opening of about 8″ in the bottom side. Clip the corners.
- Turn the pillow right side out and press. Put the pillow form inside the cover and hand sew the opening closed.
Show off your cute new pillow!
I think this would be such a fun gift for a friend who loves to travel too!
Laura Davis says
This is adorable ! I actually went on a road trip with a girlfriend from Salem OR to Marquette MI. This is the perfect gift to send her as a reminder of our fun trip.
Thanks Bev I always love all your projects. And the new fabric is AWESOME !!!!!
sheila oxley says
I love your pillow! Great design!
Your projects are cute and fun to make. Thanks for all you do.
Can’t wait to try making using vintage campers.
This is too cute! I am a sucker for anything dingle ball! Sharing! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Hope to see ya next week!
I am going to make this for my Grandson who left for College in TN from TX… ;He can have a little of G’ma love while he studies…
Patricia Montgomery says
I am going to make this pillow! Thank you so much for the idea and the USA template map!
This pillow is so adorable. Thanks for sharing at the Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make Party.
T'onna | Sew Crafty Crochet says
I love this pillow so much I love the colors and that cute little heart, so I chose it as one of my features at this week’s Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make Party!!! I can’t wait to see what you share next!
This pillow is so cute. Thank you for sharing at Dare to Share Saturday.
This is cute! Thank you for joining the To Grandma’s House We Go DIY, Crafts, Recipes and More Link Party! Pinned this! Hope to see you again next week!
Jann Olson says
It’s so cute, I love it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
Cathy Kennedy says
I’m visiting from Inspire Me Monday. This is a really great idea. I think I might try to make this for our daughter who lives many miles from home placing a heart over Tennessee (where we live) and Maine (where she lives). :) Thanks for sharing!
Kristi Dominguez says
This is SO beautiful! And what a thoughtful gift idea! I have so many dear friends who come and go because of the military…this would be such a fun treasure to send them off with! Thank you for linking up with us!
That pillow is adorable!
Debbie A says
This is totally adorable, esp for a couple dating long distance. You could place a heart where each other is. Or for a loved one to take if they deploy overseas. What a cute cute cute pillow!
Rhonda Gales says
What a cute idea for anyone who loves road trips. Thanks for sharing on Sunday’s Best. I’ll be Pinning this post.
This is so cute! Love the pom pom trim. Great idea and tutorial :)
Amy Johnson says
This is so cute!